YoHo folks! This is the final make in my Sew Your Own Wardrobe challenge… I can’t quite believe it’s been a whole year since I started! I have a bit of a separate round-up post planned but for now I just want to gush about my Morris Blazer.
Ok, confession time. You might be wondering why I’m showing a blazer and not the planned summer party dress. Well I did try really hard with the dress, I swear! I muslin’d it and everything! When it came down to the line I just didn’t love the idea so I sacked it. Thankfully the day I added it to my growing pile of un-salvageable garments, the Grainline Studios Morris Blazer pattern was released! The moment I seen it, I knew it had to be mine so here we are. 1 finished blazer for your pleasure.
I think this is the first time I’ve ever bought a pattern and bashed it out within a week of it’s release… All aboard the Morris bandwagon! This pattern is designed for stable knits and I picked up some of my very favourite black ponte from Mandors in Glasgow which was perfect for the occasion. It’s that rare kind of black that can handle a million washes without fading which is a true miracle for my overwhelmingly monochrome wardrobe.
Construction-wise… This wasn’t exactly a walk in the park! I had a bit of a problem with the shoulders as they were way too wide – like the sleeve heads were halfway down my arms. After taking to Instagram for help a couple of ladies suggested just I narrow the shoulders and that should fix it, and it did! After a bit of trial and error I settled on narrowing by 1.5 inches on each side which made things a bit better.
It’s still not quite right though as looking back I can see it’s still a bit off my shoulder. Also that little puff on top is a bit odd and I don’t know how to fix it. Answers on a postcard people!
Once I kind of fixed my shoulder issues I got way too confused again when it came to attaching the facings and had to step away for an hour before I stabbed myself in the eye with a pair of tailors sheers. Thankfully once I’d had a strong gin things started to fall into place! Maybe that’s why it all looks a bit wobbly…
Wonky lapels all round. This one is totally my fault though! This numpty thought she bought knit interfacing when in fact it was just regular fusible. I decided just to go with it but things turned out a bit too stiff (ooh err) for my liking. Same thing happened to the bottom facing too which looks almost fluted. I’m hoping a good spin in the machine will sort it out.
HULK SMASH. Ian was running out the door to go to night shift as I accosted him to take my pictures. Obviously he was a tad harassed and this is not his best work – I apologies on his behalf 🙂
To sum up, for a fist go at an actual jacket I’m pretty happy with it! I think this was a really good project to end on my SYOW challenge on. It was tricky in parts but not completely unmanageable and I know that this will get a fair bit of wear, even with the things pointed out above. In fact, I’m actually excited to have another go, address the issues and make a whole host of blazers in various shades of the rainbow. Morris’s for everyone!
I now leave you with my final hurried image from possibly the worst photo shoot on the internet today. Here I am channelling my inner Beyonce at the Met Gala because you should always be yourself, unless you can be Beyonce. Always be Beyonce. #IWokeUpLikeThis #flawless